QUESTIONS ABOUT COVID-19? CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
What does FPMC offer to expectant families in Guelph?
Why should you choose a family physician to care for you in pregnancy, labour and delivery?
Meet the family doctors that make up Family Practice Maternity Care of Guelph
What is FPMC?
· Family Practice Maternity Care of Guelph is a new option for prenatal, delivery and postpartum care for people choosing delivery at Guelph General Hospital
· Four family physicians with expertise in maternal and newborn care work together to provide personalized care from early pregnancy through to 6 weeks after delivery
· FPMC cares for not just the pregnant person but also the baby. As family doctors we understand how important this is to the whole family and welcome partners, children and other supports through the whole process.
What can I expect from FPMC?
· Through the prenatal clinic at 85 Norfolk St you will get a chance to meet all 4 doctors.
· Expect time at appointments to ask your questions and lots of education and information along the way. We know that the better prepared you are for birth, the better it goes.
· FPMC has extra information on their website and Twitter feed.
· When you go into labour or experience problems, the FPMC doctor on-call will meet you at the hospital, attend your delivery, and care for you and the baby until discharge.
· After delivery, we continue to care for you through breastfeeding support and postpartum follow-up. If your baby needs extra care, or your family physician would prefer it, we can care for babies up to 6 weeks as well.
· FPMC wants to support you and educate you. We aim to support choice and shared decision making at all steps along the way.
· FPMC welcomes diversity – no matter who makes up your family from big to small, you are welcome.
· Ask your family physician or NP to refer you as soon as you have made the decision, even if you won’t be coming to us until later in the pregnancy.
· If you don’t have a family physician, call the clinic directly and we will book you directly.
The Ontario College of Family Physicians has a great introduction to what it means to have a family physician care for you during pregnancy.
Dr Miller has been attending deliveries for over 20 years and still finds it magic every single time. She's the organizer in the group and always has an idea on making things even better. Her own kids are teenagers now which means if you have a baby at dinner time there is a good chance she'll be texting them cooking instructions as she enters your room.
Dr Schuurman recently returned to maternity care after taking time off to have 3 children of her own and she's glad to be back (and we're delighted to have her!). A steady, quiet presence she absolutely loves the opportunity to work in a strong multi-disciplinary team.
Dr Edwards enthusiastically joined the FPMC group in 2018. She is absolutely loving working and living in Guelph. She has been known to run straight to deliveries from pottery class and has recently taken up rowing. Deep in the process of renovating her home, don't be surprised if there is plaster dust in her hair.
In December 2019 we were delighted to welcome Dr. Bri Gerson to the FPMC team. She comes to Guelph via Kamloops and Ottawa with her 2 cats, a trunk full of tea and a library of books. She never misses a detail and loves taking care of you and your family during this important and exciting time!
Dr Engeland fell in love with Guelph when she was a student at U of G and after training in Mississauga she is delighted to be back and putting down roots. When not at work, she is busy fixing up her new house, walking her two dogs or trying out a new recipe while they supervise. She is so excited to be joining the FPMC and GGH teams.
Dr Finnigan is a pretty busy guy, so busy in fact that he has had to take a break from maternity care but will still pitch in from time-to-time. He works in the ER at Groves Memorial, covers hospital inpatients at GGH, cares for his own family practice at Norfolk Family Medical and buys far too many dinosaurs for his three growing children.